Elgin High School
During April and May 2012 Elgin High School Students have been looking at Local Heritage during an eleven week elective with S2 students. This included :
- Visit to Elgin’s Local Heritage Centre, where they met and talked to Graham Wilson.
- Memory gathering at Abbeyvale and Anderson’s Care Home
- Collating the memories and researching the workplaces mentioned in the memories
- Looking/drawing heritage objects borrowed from Elgin Library (reminiscence box scheme)
- Visit to Elgin museum. Included a talk from Heather Townsend
Elgin Library Visit
Heather Townsend, the library education officer showed the students a range of artefacts( see picture above). The students were able to handle them and ask questions. They also had a tour of the museum with a museum volunteer.
Care Home Visits
The group of S2 Students were divided into two groups. They visited two care homes in Elgin to be interview selected groups of residents. There was a questionnaire-style form which helped the students to decide what to ask. There were blank lined pages which allowed the students to record other events/jobs which they and the interviewee talked about related to their working lives.